[SOLVED]: Is there an uptodate list of current browser user agents somewhere?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 10 19:06:38 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Fabio Neves <fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Depending on what you're trying to achieve, testing for user agents might
> not be the best idea. If we're talking about client-side stuff, the best
> practice is to test for browser features and ignore the UA.

You're perfectly correct that the appropriate way for applications to check
for the user's browser's capabilities is to test for browser features.

The original problem of the poster was to try to work around the problem of
applications that fail to follow decent practice, but, instead, use the
browser name + OS name to indicate compatibility, where the only
combinations supported were some small set chosen from (browser, os) picked
from (ie, small subset of Chrome/Mozilla) and (MacOS, Windows).