All-in-one Colour Laser

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 10 03:24:26 UTC 2014

We're using the Brother MFC-9125CN. It's been fine. It connects properly
via network to this Linux Mint 16 system. To my surprise, once the printer
was working the scanner could be accessed from the same computer without
any additional fiddling, using Simple Scan, which is adequate for our
purposes.

I usually print in monochrome. The colour quality seems fine, but I
haven't used it much.

As well, it functions as a copy machine and that's really handy in this
small office.

I haven't tried the Fax function.

It comes with a massive manual, which I have not read..except to find out
how print out the page with the printer's network parameters. So the
operation is reasonably intuitive.

Check the cost of the cartridges before buying. My impression is that the
Brother cartridges are readily available and reasonably priced. (That
wasn't the case with a Lexmark printer that I had, where the cartridges
were nearly $200 each!).

Peter

> My colour ink jet all-in-one just died. I don't need photo quality
> colour, so was thinking that a colour laser would do. I also need the
> scan/copy function, not so much the fax feature.
>
> Any recommendations for a colour laser all-in-one?
>
> I'd rather have one box on my desk, but would appreciate knowing if
> having everything on one unit is a mistake. Having a couple of boxes
> would mean placing them in the basement (networked or print server), one
> floor down from the main pc. Just not as convenient.
>
> Naturally, it must be very linux compatible.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> John.

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325