Security hack, sort of...

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 9 17:27:19 UTC 2014

On 8 January 2014 21:03, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 04:44:45PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 04:19:02PM -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
> > >    youtube.com/watch?v=mWZLa4AnN5k#t=148
> >
> > Who really thought a voice command interface was a good idea?
> >
> > I hope they have (or add) an global option to turn that shit off.
>
> I hope this works,
>     "Are M Space Minus Are F Space Slash"

I was thinking along those lines.  I think they'll change things pretty
soon so you have to say something like "xbox CHARACTER are em space minus
are eff space slash" so that there's a distinction between a command and a
character name.  Or alternatively you should have to say "xbox COMMAND
<whatever>" before it's executed at a system level.  Although in either
case the response by pranksters and hackers would be to embed the keyword
into your character name.  But having a single keyword would introduce what
one would hope would be a more obvious mental trigger so people would think
"I shouldn't say that."

It's pretty ambiguous, isn't it?  It'll get sorted as time passes, although
not before more people get logged out and a few hard drives get wiped ...

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org