Catalog of NSA compromised equipments

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 2 19:21:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 07:43:46PM -0500, William Muriithi wrote:
> Hello pals,
>
> This looks like a petty interesting read.
>
> http://leaksource.wordpress.com/2013/12/30/nsas-ant-division-catalog-of-exploits-for-nearly-every-major-software-hardware-firmware/
>
> Remind me of Lennart claimed hard disk firmware are petty safe a month or
> two ago. Apparently NSA has compromised them too.

I did?  It doesn't seem the firmware of the harddisk could really be used
to do much, although what they have done makes some sense, although it
does seem it could still be detected sometimes.

> Quote :
>
> Another program attacks the firmware in hard drives manufactured by Western
> Digital, Seagate, Maxtor and Samsung, all of which, with the exception of
> latter, are American companies. Here, too, it appears the US intelligence
> agency is compromising the technology and products of American companies.
>
> End quote:
>
> These guys have been petty busy.

No kidding.  So essentially they have made a boot sector virus that only
shows up in the boot sector some of the time.  There is a lot of neat
stuff on that list.

--
Len Sorensen