war story: LCD display backlight problem

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 2 03:43:33 UTC 2014

My desktop display is a 30" Dell Ultrasharp 3007WFP.  Amazing that an
eight year old monitor isn't superseded on my desktop (some newer
monitors are better, but not enough to matter).

After the ice storm's power failures, a patch of the screen was darker
than the rest.  Not enough to make that area hard to read, but
distractingly different.  The patch was shaped as a horizontal bar that
stretched roughly half way across the screen.  It was perhaps a sixth of
the height of the screen.

I assume that this is one of the fluorescent backlights going.

I don't think backlights are replaceable.

Today I cranked the display brightness up all the way and left it for a
while.

Now, several hours later, the dim patch has disappeared.  Even when I turn
down the brightness.

I don't know if my fiddling with brightness fixed the problem.  But the
problem was there for the better part of a week before I tried it.