Catalog of NSA compromised equipments

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 1 22:21:16 UTC 2014

> | All these revelations seem to be from about 2007.  Who knows what they
> | are up to now.
>
> Reading more...
>
> Some are as recent as 2009.

Correct,  had planned to mention that yesterday after reading your previous
mail.

> SWAP provides "software application persistence" by exploiting the
> BIOS and the HDD's Host Protected Area.  Works with Windows, Linux,
> FreeBSD, or Solaris (as of 2007).
>
> Cottonmouth (I, II, and III) are USB plugs that contain network
> exfiltration capability.
>
> Ragemaster is a little thing that you put in a VGA cable that captures
> the red signal and makes it available for exfiltration via a RADAR
> unit.

Another odd thing about these attacks is they seem mostly aimed at
corporate products.  Don't seem to make sense, as terrorist activity are
unlikely to happen in office networks.  Weird.

Apple products are missing in the list. Looks like this has to do with
dumping BIOS for EFI earlier.  I think EFI is more bloated so may already
be compromised in updated list .

The only good news is it seem the vendors are not working with them. This
mean they pick a victim, send someone to break into the premise discretely
and plant the bug. Or is there anyway on can infect BIOS of a running
system? Or what is their delivery method in your opinion?

Regards

William