open source pedometers

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 23 02:45:36 UTC 2014

On Feb 22, 2014 2:08 PM, "Stewart C. Russell" <scruss at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14-02-22 01:55 PM, Richard Weait wrote:
> >
> > There is a linux driver, of sorts for fitbit (libfitbit, iirc) that
> > will permit syncing.  If I had the coding chops, I'd modify that code
> > to get it to save a local copy of the data.  Then, under user control,
> > decide to share that data with fitbit or not.
>
> Isn't the problem that the fitbit data are in an intractible (possibly
> encrypted) binary file, so libfitbit has to upload it to the servers to
> make any sense of it?

In part.  I see that libfitbit has come a ways since i looked last year.  Includes a section on reverse engineering now.

https://github.com/openyou/libfitbit

There is a new project for newer fitbit devices, called Galileo.

https://bitbucket.org/benallard/galileo

So it looks like there is more to dive into.

These was a proprietary project that claimed to fully decode fitbit protocols, called fitbite.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1304.5672v1.pdf?goback=%2Egde_2206357_member_236224214