Teksavvy court ruling for 2012 file sharers?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 23 00:46:59 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 02:16:56PM -0500, Stewart C. Russell wrote
> On 14-02-22 12:13 PM, Peter wrote:
> > I read an article on the court decision in nationalpost. No reaction here?
>
> I'm disappointed that my ISP was forced to hand over customer data to
> the plaintiff. They gave a good fight.

  They haven't handed over the data yet.  See their press release at
http://www.teksavvy.com/en/why-teksavvy/in-the-news/teksavvy-press-releases/2014-press-releases/ruling-in-filesharing-suit-imposes-new-safeguards-for-canadians

  Basically the court looked at US and UK copyright trolling, and came
to a compromise.  They couldn't throw out the suit outright, becasue
there was a previous case that went to a higher court.  However, the
court put Voltage on a tight leash...

Quick summary from http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29051456-Voltage-vs-Teksavvy-decision
* Teksavvy must reveal identity of alleged infringers.

* TSI gets all legal costs, admin costs & disbursements.
** TSI gets paid before Voltage sees even a single name. No money, no names.**

* Any/all letters from Voltage MUST be approved by both the Court & CIPPIC, so as not to provide false information to defendants, and coerce them into settlements.

* Letter will include a statement that 'no Court has yet found any recipient of the letter liable for infringement and that recipicies should [seek] legal assistance".

* Every letter to an alleged infringer will get a copy of the judge's order.

* Any subscriber can request a full copy of the order, for which the Plaintiff (Voltage) must pay for.

* Voltage will only receive Name & Address attached to specific IP addresses of the alleged infringers, and nothing more.

* There will be a special Judge assigned to this case, and will 'monitor, as necessary, the conduct of Voltage in its dealings with the alleged infringers."

* If Voltage splits a subscriber out of the herd (so to say), the special judge will keep hold of the new case.

* Voltage cannot make statements to the media, releasing defendant names or addresses.