open source pedometers

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 22 17:10:30 UTC 2014

The FitBit pedometers, are the market leader and famously closed
source.  No official support for Linux users. And closed data; all
your pedometer data is uploaded to their web app, and then you can
only view a summary of that data.

The Nike pedometers are equally closed.

Have any of you got a New Balance pedometer? If so, is it any more
open?  The documentation suggests that it is not open by default;
windows software only.  I've asked the manufacturer but haven't heard
back from them yet, and I'm impatient.  :-)