Acer recovery partition

Randy Jonasz rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 19 17:58:35 UTC 2014

On 14-02-18 10:25 PM, Randy Jonasz wrote:
> On 14-02-18 06:00 PM, Giles Orr wrote:
>>
>> So host system USB access isn't included by default.  You need to
>> install another extension (not the standard "Guest Additions") - I
>> don't know where you get that, although Oracle seems likely.  I've
>> been working with VirtualBox some recently at work and have come up
>> against the USB access problem: I thought it was for-pay only.  I
>> guess it will be at work, but I can use it at home if I don't mind
>> the non-free license ...
>>
> Thanks Giles!  Windows now recognizes the usb drive but I can't seem
> to access the contents.  I'll have to play with it some more.
Ok, after installing Oracle's extensions, I was able to attach the USB
drive to Windows.  But the problem I had was that I could not access
content from within Windows.  The solution is to NOT unmount the drive
in linux first.  When I attach the drive to Windows, it looks like
Virtual Box unmounts it for me and attaches it to Windows and I can then
access content yay!  One problem remains:  The drive I was able to use
was an old USB 2 2G drive.  My Kingston 32G USB 3 drive does not want to
play nicely with Windows.  The OS complains it is an unkown device.  Yet
linux accesses it without any problem.