Acer recovery partition

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 18 23:05:30 UTC 2014

On 14-02-18 05:32 PM, Randy Jonasz wrote:

> When I insert a USB drive, the file manager
> opens in Unity and nothing happens in Windows.  Any idea how to let
> Windows access the drive?

Yeah, that's a fiddly one which I only just worked out. I think the
safest way to do this is:

1) Eject it from Unity File Manager, but don't remove the USB drive.

2) In VirtualBox's toolbar at the bottom of the screen, right click on
   the USB Plug icon (this may require host extensions, and definitely
needs vboxusers group membership). A context menu should pop up with
your USB devices. Select the "Generic Storage" (or whatever it's called
for your drive) and it will mount in the guest OS.

3) When you're done with the drive, eject it from the guest OS (Windows
   has "Safely remove ..."), then do the USB Plug icon thing again,
unselecting the storage device. The device will remount in Unity File
Manager.

You can skip step 1, but whether you can do so safely, I can't say.

 Stewart