Acer recovery partition

Tim Tisdall tisdall-DXT9u3ndKiSh7up9GtFB90EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 18 14:57:36 UTC 2014

I had something strange and quite annoying happen yesterday and wanted to
know if anyone else has ever had a similar experience...

I ran the recovery partition on my Acer Aspire laptop.  I was given 3
settings, and exit.  I chose "exit".  However, after the system rebooted I
was then shown the grub recovery prompt with a message that the partition
didn't exist.

After some investigation with a bootable USB drive I discovered that my
Linux partition had been deleted!  Thankfully testdisk was able to recover
the partition for me, but what happened??  The recovery partition seems to
go ahead and delete your Linux partitions without asking.

-Tim