SystemD on Debian

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 16 21:28:02 UTC 2014

> This is definitely an area that warrants a talk, with something of a
round-table, so we can share experiences, as systemd is a daemon launcher
that's clearly gotten the critical mass that it'll be used on most Linux
distributions forthcoming.

No doubt, look like there is no avoiding it.  Petty much all the big
distributions are on it and it is just a matter of time and will be history.

Now, what happen to BSD? Are they likely to follow along too? I remember a
lot of people didn't want anything to do with it - came up when discussing
udev if i remember correctly - and even Windows developers make fun of it,
but it has overcome all that resistance.

> The place that I'm a bit worried (and ignorance spawns worry, here) is
that I'm normally pretty comfortable with /etc/init.d in that the directory
structure there gives me, in "Unix Philosophy" manner, reasonable 'hooks'
for debugging and figuring out what's going on at Init time.  In contrast,
I don't know how SystemD is structured, and some of what I see gives me a
bit of non-warm-fuzzy in that I'm hearing what sounds rather like captive
user interfaces.

It actually have a binary log, what gives, granted it allow the rsyslog
too, but weren't we all making fun of windows binary configuration for
decades to take the same route now?

> On the "hope cool stuff is possible" side, it would be rather neat if
SystemD can be used in user space to help manage user-owned daemons; I
commonly have a few of those.

When I read this mail first, the first thing I thought was to look for a
book on the subject at Amazon.  None exist, a great opportunity for any
entrepreneur here. If one is well ahead and have mastered it, I think it
could make money.

Without a book, a tlug round table discussion would be great so I add my
vote to the idea.

William