SystemD on Debian

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 15 18:37:54 UTC 2014

This is definitely an area that warrants a talk, with something of a
round-table, so we can share experiences, as systemd is a daemon launcher
that's clearly gotten the critical mass that it'll be used on most Linux
distributions forthcoming.

The place that I'm a bit worried (and ignorance spawns worry, here) is that
I'm normally pretty comfortable with /etc/init.d in that the directory
structure there gives me, in "Unix Philosophy" manner, reasonable 'hooks'
for debugging and figuring out what's going on at Init time.  In contrast,
I don't know how SystemD is structured, and some of what I see gives me a
bit of non-warm-fuzzy in that I'm hearing what sounds rather like captive
user interfaces.  Impressions may be wrong; I hope so, and that the
configuration and behaviour is reasonably explorable.

On the "hope cool stuff is possible" side, it would be rather neat if
SystemD can be used in user space to help manage user-owned daemons; I
commonly have a few of those.

For instance, on a development box, I normally want to have a bunch of
Postgres instances of varying versions kicking about.  I use SysV Init
style start scripts for that, though consciously NOT integrated into
/etc/init.d; they live in a user account area.  It would be rather neat if
SystemD could help with those, too.