Linux Desktop on Android Device?

Todd Howe tehowe-lJUvcdpYuyfIEIWhD7vHkg at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 12 16:13:15 UTC 2014

> > On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Stephen W. Clarke <stephenc-wtWqQT8woy8 at public.gmane.org>wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone on this list know of a tutorial that explains the process for
> >> replacing the OS on an android device with a Linux Desktop? is if even
> >> possible? I assume I'd have to use adb and fastboot, but I'm not sure
> >> exactly what the steps are or the order they need to be done in.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Stephen

You can actually install the Ubuntu 13.04 desktop from here, but it involves a
lot of mucking around with rooting your device and flashing in a custom recovery
firmware like ClockWorkMod or TeamWinRecovery. Plus, my install died on a recent
update and I wiped it so this is not for the faint of heart but it was fun to play
with. Canonical sadly killed devlopment in that direction. (Not to be confused
with Ubuntu Touch). Also now that I think of it I think it's just for Nexus
devices.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

This leaves us with the Linux on Android Project and Linux Deploy, both of which
will install a chrooted(?) Linux desktop on your phone/tablet which you can then
VNC into. Using AndroidVNC is a bit of a roundabout way to view the desktop but it
works fairly well, and this is far easier than the Ubuntu option I mentioned
above, and provides a good choice of different distros.

http://linuxonandroid.org

I settled on Linux Deploy, it's a newer project and the one Kali Linux uses as well.
Too bad they're not in the FOSS FDroid market yet though - if you've wiped all
the Google spyware and crap off of your device, you'll have to download the apks
using the Chromium 'APK Downloader' extension from the Google Market and sideload
them. Otherwise, it's teh usual point and click from Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.meefik.linuxdeploy

--
-____ Todd Howe ____________________ tehowe-lJUvcdpYuyfIEIWhD7vHkg at public.gmane.org ___________-
 -____ GPG: public key id E8BCABA7__ IM: tehowe on twitter, jabber ____-