Very well built Web Kiosk distro w/ Porteus Linux

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 10 02:26:00 UTC 2014

So, while working as part of the volunteer IT team for a local
convention the need for a Web Kiosk came up. Now this is not a difficult
project and you can spend an afternoon sorting something that meets
basic needs. But knowing that it's been done dozens of times I actually
spent some looking for something done 'well'.

What I found was Porteus Linux, Kiosk Edition.

http://build.porteus.org/kiosk/

They have an online configuration system that will build a bootable iso
tailored to your needs and covers a lot of security scenarios. They
support hardware all the way back to i486, even to the point of having a
correct version of flash to handle the lack of SSE instructions.

If you build the iso in hybrid mode, it's ready to dd directly to a
machines disk. It was a very well put together process and takes care of
a lot of the holes a DYI job will leave.

Well worth a look when you find yourself in need for this. My build
choices was only came 54MB in size.

--
Scott Sullivan