[TLUG-ANNOUNCE]: GTALUG Meeting and Notices

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 7 21:21:52 UTC 2014

Thanks, folks. I'm particularly pleased to see this:

Heckling of the speakers cannot be tolerated. Questions and comments to
the speaker should only be asked when the speaker has opened the floor to
the audience.

One minor quibble:

> another it is good to be reminded of our principals.
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^ princibles?

Peter

Please take an
> [...]
>

> GTALUG Key Signing Party
> ========================
>
> Myles Braithwaite, one of GTALUG's acting Board members will be run a
> GPG key signing at the next meeting. This will take place in the time
> before the main session starts. Below is a getting started guide.
>

> ### What you will need:
>
> 1. Create an OpenPGP keypair for yourself (if you haven't) already.
> 2. Print or write down your key fingerprint and bring it with you.
> You'll have to confirm at the signing that the list is correct for
> your key.
> 3. Send you key before the event to the `pgp.mit.edu` keyserver.
> 4. Email your key fingerprint to <me+gtalug-keys-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>
> with the subject "'youremail-hcDgGtZH8xNAfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org' key".
> 5. Bring a goverment-issued picture ID of yourself.
>
> #### Help
>
> Get your KEYID from your keyring as the part following the 1024D/ as
> follows:
>
>      gpg --list-secret-keys | grep sec
>
> Here is how to send your key to the keyserver:
>
>      gpg --keyserver gpg.mit.edu --send-keys <KEYID>
>
> Get your fingerprint information:
>
>      gpg --fingerprint KEYID
>
> ### At the Key Signing Party
>
> 1. Each participant should meet up face to face with every other
> participant to receive their key fingerprint and examine their ID, and
> to give them your key fingerprint and have them examine your ID.
> 2. Each participant should meet up face to face with every other
> participant to receive their key fingerprint and examine their ID, and
> to give them your key fingerprint and have them examine your ID.
>
> ### After the Key Signing Party
>
> 1. Find the key ID on the fingerprint. The fingerprint will have an
> 8-character ID listed after the key size. Typically it looks like
> this: '1024D/64011A8B'. The actual ID portion is the '64011A8B'.
> You'll notice this is also the last 8 characters of the fingerprint
> itself.
> 2. Fetch the public key using the key ID. If you're running GnuPG on
> the command line, you can do this by typing: `gpg --keyserver
> pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys <KeyID>` (where KeyID is obviously the ID of
> the key you want).
> 3. Check that the fingerprint of the key you've just fetched matches
> the fingerprint on the slip of paper: `gpg --fingerprint <KeyID>` and
> compare it with the hard copy in front of you.
> 4. If (and only if) you are happy that the fingerprints match and the
> person showed you sufficient ID, you can do the actual 'signing' part
> of the process: `gpg --sign-key <KeyID>` and answer the questions it
> asks.
> 5. Next you need to send the signed copy of their key back to them.
> Now upload the signed key back to the server `gpg --keyserver
> pgp.mit.edu --send-key <Key_ID>`. You should get back something like
> 'gpg: sending key <Key_ID> to hkp server pgp.mit.edu'.

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325