Choice of two VPSs

Tim Tisdall tisdall-DXT9u3ndKiSh7up9GtFB90EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 3 14:38:51 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 2:15 AM, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> After spending a good chunk of time on culling from the crowded hosting
> field it's down to two providers who offer fairly similar services:
> VPS.NET and CirrusTech. Both offer good specs, good prices, support
> Ubuntu and (important to us) have Canadian datacentres.
>
> Does anyone here have experience with either of these companies, positive
> OR negative?

Hopefully I'm not too late for a reply to this...

I've been a long-term customer of VPS.NET for about 3 years now.  I hate
them.  :)  But I also still use them.  In the past I had a lot of issues
with downtime and just a few weeks ago I had two instances be down for over
12 hrs.  I'm not hosting any critical applications with them  (where I did
in the past and lost a lot of money).  They have a SLA that basically says
if they're down long enough (and you reported it quick enough), you can get
your money back.  But getting back $20 isn't much of a comfort if your
mission critical site is down for 20hrs.

I just checked the site again, and VPS.NET is charging $25/month for using
their Montreal data center.  This is a lot better than in the past where
they were charging closer to $40/month.  I also don't know what the uptime
track record is for the Montreal center as I've only used the 3 data
centers in the US.

So, in conclusion...  I use them because they're fairly convenient and
cheap.  I try to mitigate issues by making offsite backups as well (though
losing data hasn't been an issue yet).

Incidentally, VPS.NET uses http://onapp.com/ to power their cloud
instances.  You can check out their website and see other companies using
the same software as well as finding Canadian ones.  Sometimes it's easier
dealing with a smaller company.

If you're willing to cross the border, digitalocean is only $5/month for a
basic instance.

-Tim