Linux Kernel Network Subsystem Patching

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 3 04:54:23 UTC 2014

| From: Stewart C. Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Yes, I can't think of anything that I use that needs 32 bit. Proprietary
| binaries used to need it (Flash, Acrobat Reader, ndiswrapper) but not so
| much any more.

Some CODECs for mplayer, I think.  I've never used them.

It's amazing how long the transition from x86 to x86-64 took,
especially in Windows.

I've had x86-64 hardware for 10 years and used 64-bit Linux for all
that time.

It was a couple of years before there was a 64-bit WinXP (Microsoft
reneged a promise to AMD, I think) and even then it was useless.
64-bit Windows didn't get "normal" until the last couple of years.

There are still 32-bit-only systems for sale.  For example, many
Atom-based Win8 tablets.  Although the CPU can do 64-bits, the UEFI is
32-bit only.

<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ5NzE>
<http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/26734.html>