Linux Kernel Network Subsystem Patching

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 2 20:58:59 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 04:27:37PM -0500, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:
> <snip>
> >I think about the cheapest you can do a new machine with the lowest
> >components of everything is around $300 or so.  Uping that by another
> >$100 probably close to doubles what you get.
>
> Lennart, your estimate was spot on !
>
> I just purchased a new system for $362.95 from Filtech
> Computers<http://filtechcomputer.com/>( plus tax came to $410.00
> overall )
> A dual core Intel i3- 4130 3.4Ghz with 8 GB RAM.The motherboard is a ASUS
> H81M-E ( again like you suggested ). The processor specs say it has 4
> threads so am guessing if we hyperthread we can have the 2 cores + 2
> logical cores ? Or is that a bad idea ?

The hyperthreading on the Core i3 should be quite good.  It doesn't have
the same bottleneck issues as the P4 used to have.  Of course you can
still find some cases where it would be faster not to use it, but that
should be pretty rare on the Core i series.  I would certainly use it.

Each of the two cores can run two threads at once, so 4 threads total
for the 2 cores.

> They had many off-lease and re-certified systems but after much thought I
> decided to go with the brand new motherboard + CPU + RAM even though it
> cost more.

Sounds pretty decent.

> And I figured out ccache ( reading through Greg Kroah-Hartman's Linux
> Kernel In A Nutshell <http://www.kroah.com/lkn/>  gave me the answer )
> If you run:  make CC="ccache gcc" THEN it does kick in but I still get
> weird errors like not a C/C++ file and unsupported compiler option . But at
> least it is working sort of :)
>
> I have a question will a 64bit system compile a kernel faster all other
> things being equal ? My concern is this, I install a 64bit version of
> Ubuntu and use that to compile and take full advantage of the bus width but
> what about all the other applications we have come to depend on over the
> years most of which are 32bit  ? Will they run ?

64bit is faster and a 64bit linux can run 32bit programs too (although
there are very few left you would have any reason to run as 32 bit).

--
Len Sorensen