Which process is using which audio playback device?

Andrej Marjan andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 31 01:16:55 UTC 2014

Hello, a quick question with hopefully a quick answer though I haven't
turned up anything useful yet in my searches.

My laptop is running Kubuntu 14.04. In the KDE System Settings I've set the
default audio device to be HDMI out and everything I run is respecting that
setting.

However, once every 10-20 minutes or so, something is playing a clicking
sound through the laptop speakers. It's not a uniform interval and it's not
correlated to any user inputs - I can't figure out a pattern to it.

How can I audit the use of the audio devices in this system to figure out
what's doing this?

Thanks,

Andrej