No systemd discussion?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 21 21:49:46 UTC 2014

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| Well I have never been impressed by how android works.  I consider it
| not open source, and it certainly does not seem to consider community
| input what so ever.

So: you don't buy into Landley's vision of all of us switching to a
new Linux desktop based on Android.  Neither do I.  And that's an
important part of the background of why he has strong aversion to
systemd.  That particular argument isn't as important for me.

For sentimental reasons, I'd like a "solution" (marketing owns that
word but I'm borrowing it) that would work for BSD.  BSD folks don't
like the GPL (with varying intensity).

Fundamentally, I don't see why systemd's license would cause any
problems that the Kernel's license doesn't already.  I'd like to think
of systemd as a userland extension of the kernel (perhaps "OS is the
better term, but that has so many meanings now that it has no
meaning).