No systemd discussion?

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 19 15:35:53 UTC 2014

> I didn't start out a GPL fan.  I've been driven there by the behaviour
> of users-of-but-not-contributors-to BSD licensed code.

Actually, this may be one of the biggest problem that's never acknowledged.
The nature of BSD mean progress there is petty slow compared with GPL based
software. So its hard to remain compatible.

For example, any user space service that support kernel namespaces will be
incompatible with BSD. So you either drop BSD support or have a service
that's not that great to both platform.

The other problem is that Redhat seem to be financing a lot of open source
projects out there. And I really respect that. However, that mean they
control a lot on the directions projects are going.

I really don't think systemd would have been that control oriented if the
project had a lot of outside voices. I haven't followed it closely, but
tend to feel its a Redhat product that's designed by a small group there.

> Landley does make some useful observations.  I don't really know
> systemd but:
>
> It seems to be complicated and growing at an immodest rate.  I suspect
> that it is doing too much and is reducing the modularity of the
> system.
>
> The developers seem to have trouble getting along with others.  (That
> can be said of Landley, for what it's worth.)
>
> It looks to be a much better solution than the others that have been
> widely adopted.
> --
Came to the same conclusion after Debian adopted it. At that point, I
warmed up to it as resisting would be too painful.

William