[Bulk] Re:No systemd discussion?

David Collier-Brown davec-b-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 15 02:33:22 UTC 2014

On 08/14/2014 08:58 PM, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> On 08/11/2014 02:52 PM, Jamon Camisso wrote:
>> Scripts aren't portable compared to a distribution agnostic tool like
>> systemd. You don't have different places to go looking for rc*
>> directories and files. You don't have to deal with those rc files'
>> strange distribution specific sed and awk invocations.
>
> I'd caution against calling systemd a distribution agnostic tool.
> Actualy, it's far from it, instead forcing the distributions to a
> adopt single software solution.
>
> This ties in with the 'friction' spoken of in another post. When there
> are changes to core software to depend on systemd (X.org, gnome,
> etc).. then as a distro you either have to get on the centralized
> band-wagon or spend enormous resources undoing that work.
>
> I love systemd's features, but it is creating a new mono-culture in
> the process with no way to easily back out or implement later
> alternatives.

This problem is endemic in the proprietary software world: someone
convinces their managers to build a walled garden, and PHBs buy the
idea.  Other variants including introducing Kudzu or Bamboo ("Japanese
Knot Vine") in an existing garden, which is probably closer to the
systemd case.

Some of these can be really brilliant: I used to use qef at Siemens, and
it was wonderful. It just meant I had to do everything the qef way.

--dave

davecb-0XdUWXLQalXR7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org           |                      -- Mark Twain