CentOS 7 installation oddity

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 9 06:27:21 UTC 2014

I'm installing CentOS 7 on a little computer (A Foxconn nT-A3500).

My hard drive is partitioned in the MBR system.

My installation boot device is a USB stick with the CentOS DVD ISO dd'ed
onto it.

When I booted the stick, I told the BIOS to boot from the UEFI device, the
USB stick.

CentOS seemed to think that the HDD that I was going to install on had to
be UEFI-bootable.  The evidence is that the partitioning phase of the
installer would repeatedly block me with the message
	you have not created a bootloader stage1 target device
This continued even when I created a /boot/efi partition

The cure was to reboot from the USB stick, telling the BIOS to boot from
the MBR device, the USB stick.

I don't know why CentOS 7 thinks that the installation destination needs
to have the same kind of bootloader as the installation source device.

I don't know why it doesn't know how to make a boot partition
UEFI-bootable when it is given one.  Perhaps UEFI cannot boot from an
MBR-partitioned drive.  If so, CentOS should have explained the problem
better.