Does anyone have a Oneplus One phone invite?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 8 20:13:14 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY
<clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm interested in the <http://oneplus.net/one> phone and I can only
> purchase one with an invite code. Does anyone have one? If you have one,
> what have your experience been like with the phone?

The "gloss" has come off, to my mind; it was one thing for the vendor
to have some
sales restrictions back at the beginning when it's reasonable to think
that they mightn't
be able to make infinite numbers of phones fly out the door on the
first morning.
But it's been several months; if they can't start working off the demand, then
there's a serious problem with production and I'm not sure I want in.

There's a Reddit list out there where people can register and get put
into a priority
order so that people can "pay forward" by passing an invite to the
next person on the
list.  There are 7300 people on the list.  (I'm at location #6016 on
the list, signed up
on July 28th.)  They have given out about 300 invitations, so I
imagine I'll get an
invite some time in 2023.

The hardware seems interesting, and the price is pretty favorable, so
I'd be keen
(troubles with spam aside) on hearing if people have invitations
somewhere nearer
than a Reddit list where there are 5700 people higher in priority than
myself.  But
I'm suspicious that their supply chain is pretty broken if it's not
worth opening
things up and selling to interested would-be customers.