Microsoft open sources some of .net

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 7 16:31:13 UTC 2014

<http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-open-sourcing-of-net-the-back-story-7000028109/?s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61>
<http://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-3-year-journey-to-an-open-source-net/>

I don't know what to make of the move.  Partly because I don't touch that
world.

Miguel de Icaza was there for the announcement.  He's even closer to
becoming a Microsoft employee :-)  Ximian's moral successor Xamarin is
involved.

The open sourcing of the C# and VB compilers might undercut Xamarin's own
compiler.

Isn't .net left out of the new world formerly known as Metro?  Again, an
area where I have no knowledge.  Microsoft says that they are not
abandoning .net.  Windows developers would probably be livid after they
got burned by the intro of .net, killing their old ecosystem.

So: does this mean anything at all for Linux?  Of course we don't have a
really coherent equivalent to .NET (I'm not saying that we should).