file checksum?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 30 19:53:42 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:44:31AM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to do some kind of "checksum" on files (full or partial
> > content) in order to catch unwanted changes (accidental or malicious).
> > How would you do it?
> I'd be much more inclined to use some existing implementation
> (tripwire, AIDE, cfengine) over "rolling my own", as others have
> already struggled through debugging and odd bits of semantics.

Actually, I need to roll my own.  When data is written to file and read
back later, if it's not the same data that I started with, then I want
to know.

I just found "mhash" package on my Slackware machine, which is not found
on other distros.  Strange, because it's usually the other way around.
It may be moot point, though, because I also found that "cksum" is
slower than "md5sum".
--
William