file checksum?

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 30 15:39:24 UTC 2013

I would say that md5sum is the standard way to checksum a file .. I was in
charge of the build process at my last contract, and new versions of code
were delivered nightly to the internal ftp site as ISOs (in various
flavours) and their md5sums.

It's very quick to check an md5sum -- just run

  md5sum -c *.md5

in the directory where you have the binaries and the md5sums (as
${filename}.md5), and it will quickly return a Go/NoGo result.

Alex Beamish

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to do some kind of "checksum" on files (full or partial
> content) in order to catch unwanted changes (accidental or malicious).
> How would you do it?
>
> So far, I found
>     - MD/SHA digests from OpenSSL -- I'm worried about speed, and being
>       dependent on yet another library.
>     - crypt() from glibc -- It can do MD5/SHA, but it has to be a single
>       string.  It can't do multiple strings.
>
> Is there user-callable CRC routines in glibc?  Curiously, I can't find
> one, even though I'm told that TCP stack uses it internally.
> --
> William

Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario