Fwd: GTALug Annual General Meeting

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 29 14:59:21 UTC 2013

A slightly edited / rehashed version of a past AGM announcement...

The October 8th 2013 GTALug meeting will be our annual general
meeting. At this meeting we will be having board elections for three
of the five board member seats.

As per the current board decision, I will be running the board
elections. Anyone interested in becoming a board member should note
that there are four legal requirements to becoming a board member :

a) You must consent to becoming a board member
b) You must be age 18 or older
c) You must have the power under law to enter a contract
d) You can NOT be an undischarged bankrupt

The procedure at the next meeting will be:

- A report on the current finances of the group
- Anyone interested in paying for a GTALug membership will be given
the opportunity to do so at this point.
- A call for nominations from the floor. If you can not attend the
meeting make sure that you have a person who will act as your proxy at
the meeting with a signed letter stating your wish to become a board
member (so we can confirm point (a) above.).
- After nominations close, if there are more than three nominees, then
each candidate will be asked to give a short statement (under 2
minutes long) as to why they should be elected to the board. If you
can not attend the meeting and are running, your proxy will be asked
to read a prepared (under 2 minutes long) statement regarding why you
should be elected.
- Ballots will then be distributed to all paid up members of GTALug
- Ballots will be collected and counting will start
- Our speaker(s) will give their talk or presentation
- If there is a tie vote, as did occur in 2012,  then a second vote
will be held, and if necessary additional votes held until the tie is
resolved.
- At the end of the meeting, the results will be announced and the new
board will be introduced

Questions and points that have been raised in the past include:

- Canadian Citizenship is NOT required to become a GTALug board member.
- The board selects its' own officers (ie: who will be GTALug's
Treasurer, Secretary, etc.) will be decided by the next board.

I would be happy to answer any other questions that come up, with the
following understandings:

- With the possible exception noted below I currently plan repeat any
questions I get (without naming the questioner) and my answer to main
GTALug discussion mailing list.
- I will not repeat any question just aimed at being derogatory to any
single (or group of) candidate(s).

Thanks.

Colin McGregor