dm-raid and resizing

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 28 21:32:38 UTC 2013

On 13-09-13 01:26 PM, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> I recently upgraded a couple of RAID 2TB drives to some 3TB drives using the
> format
> Shutdown, pull old drive 1, start degraded
> Add new drive 1 to RAID, wait for sync/rebuild
> Shutdown, pull old drive 2, add new drive 2 to RAID, wait for sync/rebuild
[snip]
> However, for whatever reason, I can't grow to the full partition size.
[snip]
> Any ideas why it won't use the full capacity?

That's an interesting approach to upgrading the drives. I hadn't thought of
that. I have a pair of 250G drives that are close to capacity. I bought some
1TB drives to replace my current drives.

Have other people tried this approach for moving to bigger drives in a RAID
1 configuration? Is it possible to use gparted to change the partition sizes
after rebuild process or does it clone information that makes the system
think the new drives are only as large as the original drives?

--
Cheers!

Kevin.