HDMI to VGA adapter has arrived.

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.avery.frey-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 27 19:30:12 UTC 2013

On 27/09/13 02:18 PM, William Park wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 01:40:46PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> | From: Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org>
>>
>> | On 27 September 2013 12:22, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> | Sorry bout that, No need for auction.
>> | http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Male-To-VGA-D-SUB-15-pins-Female-Video-AV-Adapter-Cable-For-HDTV-TV-PC-/121179789771
>>
>> That's a remarkable price, with free shipping.  I'm intrigued and
>> might order one.
>>
>> Better to give an ebay.ca link, I think
>> <http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HDMI-Male-To-VGA-D-SUB-15-pins-Female-Video-AV-Adapter-Cable-For-HDTV-TV-PC-/121179789771>
>>
>> But I don't trust the device.  The description seems fishy.
>>
>> - "Connecting Digital video and Digital Audio in one" and yet
>>    "Please be noted: this cable only support analog signal, not digital signal."
>
> Right here, you know it's scam.  How can you not support "digital
> signal" when going from HDMI (digital) to VGA (analog)?

The writer could have meant that the signal output is analog, which, duh
is obvious because VGA output is analog. If it can't support an HDMI
signal well then it's a scam. This is why Hugh calls the description fishy.

My guess is this is an holdover from a description of a DVI adapter. DVI
is a weird standard in that there is DVI-A DVI-D and DVI-I. Respectively
that means cables that can carry an analog, digital or both (the I here
stands for Integrated).

Ivan.