HDMI to VGA adapter has arrived.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 27 17:40:46 UTC 2013

| From: Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org>

| On 27 September 2013 12:22, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

| Sorry bout that, No need for auction.
| http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Male-To-VGA-D-SUB-15-pins-Female-Video-AV-Adapter-Cable-For-HDTV-TV-PC-/121179789771

That's a remarkable price, with free shipping.  I'm intrigued and
might order one.

Better to give an ebay.ca link, I think
<http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HDMI-Male-To-VGA-D-SUB-15-pins-Female-Video-AV-Adapter-Cable-For-HDTV-TV-PC-/121179789771>

But I don't trust the device.  The description seems fishy.

- "Connecting Digital video and Digital Audio in one" and yet
  "Please be noted: this cable only support analog signal, not digital signal."

- "Connecting Digital video and Digital Audio in one" and yet no
  connector is listed or shown for audio out (the VGA HD-15 connector
  "standard" does not include audio)

- who knows how the subtleties of EDID or whatever are handled.
  The description is silent on this issue.

- other posters have mentioned that the power load of some of these
  adapters is problematic.  The description is silent on this issue.

- it claims worldwide free shipping, but Luxembourg is excluded!

Perhaps the thing is just a cable, with no active circuitry.  It would
then not work for the purpose we wish, but it might be useful to
somebody.  I know that seems far-fetched, but when I search
alibabab.com for USB to SCSI converters, I get a lots of examples of
things that are just (useless, I think) connector-but-not-signal
converters.