More on tiny ARM-based PCs

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 27 15:40:03 UTC 2013

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Given all the recent interest in Pi's and Bones, I'm curious to know if
> anyone in TLUG has a CuBox. It's more expensive than the others, but has
> recently gone through a significant price drop. I am especially interested
> to know if its architecture is considered more open than the Pi's, given
> the number of ... issues ... that exist regarding its openness. One
> intetresting thing about it, apparently, is that since its processor
> (Marvell) supports the ARMv7 spec it is able to run Android and
> conventional Linux (one report claims it can run KDE, not a small feat for
> one of these tiny things).
>
> All reviews and analysis, good or bad, are welcome.

I ran Debian on one of the original "reference implementation" SheevaPlugs
for many years.  The CPU was (iirc) a Marvell Kirkwood.  While I didn't
run a GUI it did serve me well running stateful filtering and as a VPN
server.  I only stopped using it when it died :)

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org		Linux counter ID #16440