IP-Tables and Security in General

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 24 00:14:43 UTC 2013

| You are running a network, just a simple one. |

I am ? Oh-kay I shoud have known :-)))

| You still haven't specified the network you do want to run.  Surely that's
what you want to secure. |

It is the same single PC that I am trying to secure..

| Why not move to 12.04 LTS?  I don't know how good the support for
10.04 is these days. |

I have 12.04 on another partition but I have issues with Unity, I have
Gnome Classic Fallback installed but that is still Gnome3 and kinnda heavy
whereas Gnome2 I love and is uncluttered stays out of the way but allows
one to do what needs to with a minimum number of mouse clicks or
keystrokes. Unity am guessing is targetting mobile devices and that is a
good thing but my question is how many of us develop using cell-phones or
tablets ? Very few I think so am sticking with my Gnome2...

| Surely. So significant protection is provided by NAT: essentially all
traffic to your machine is initiated by you (your machine is a "client").
There are still attack vectors. |

Aaah.. now am starting to understand, much obliged.

| For your simple setup, Ubuntu is probably mostly safe out of the box,
without significant configuration.  Of course it can be improved. |

I never had a prob with ubuntu and the only thing I did that may have
caused all this havoc is install virtualbox to test Windows Xp.

| You, the user and sysadmin, need to avoid unsafe acts. |

I take all possible precautions but am human with all the associated
failings :-)

| (I haven't looked at your netstat output.) |

The more I study the netstat outpt the more confused I get :-(

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> | From: Aruna Hewapathirane <aruna.hewapathirane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Am not running a network ( yet )
>
> You are running a network, just a simple one.
>
> You still haven't specified the network you do want to run.  Surely that's
> what you want to secure.
>
> | all I have is a single ancient PC (
> | Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz with 2GB RAM ) running Ubuntu 10.04
> | LTS mostly used to develop.
>
> Why not move to 12.04 LTS?  I don't know how good the support for
> 10.04 is these days.
>
> | My ISP is Bell so I have their router and when I had a look it says:
> |
> |    - Connection type: Ethernet
> |    - IP address: 192.168.2.26
> |    - IP address allocation: DHCP
> |    - *IP address type: Private (NAT)*
> |
> | So am guessing it implements Network Address Translation.
>
> Surely.
>
> So significant protection is provided by NAT: essentially all traffic
> to your machine is initiated by you (your machine is a "client").
> There are still attack vectors.
>
> For your simple setup, Ubuntu is probably mostly safe out of the box,
> without significant configuration.  Of course it can be improved.
>
> You, the user and sysadmin, need to avoid unsafe acts.
>
> (I haven't looked at your netstat output.)

*Aruna Hewapathirane*
Consultant/Trainer
Phone : 647-709-9269
Website: <http://goog_1768911931>Open Source