Secure Credit Card Station

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 21 21:19:52 UTC 2013

If I were presented with this scenario, I would choose not to make the
purchase, as I'd have no way to tell if there were hidden cameras around or
key-loggers installed on the laptop. I only use my credit card to buy on
the Internet using my own systems.

I would recommend instead some sort of portable Cedit/Debit machine that's
been approved by the bank. My men's chorus (the Toronto Northern Lights)
uses one to sell show tickets and CDs. I don't know what the cost is, but
we're a non-profit, so I imagine it's inexpensive, in addition to being
much more secure.

Alex Beamish

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Howard Gibson <hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>    An organzation I belong to is interested in setting up a laptop on
> which members can do credit card transactions.  I pointed out to them that
> I do not type my credit card number onto MY laptop.  I am sure as hell not
> typing it on someone else's.  I am looking into the problem here, at the
> very least, because it is interesting.  Let us assume people are willing to
> trust us.
>
>    The offending laptop is running Linux.  It is connected to the
> internet, probably through wifi.  It is placed facing a wall or some other
> barrier so that people can sit at it and not have their keystrokes
> observed.  I have set up a user account with a restricted environment.  The
> user can launch a browser that connects to our website, or they can log
> out.  There is no access to other applications, file managers, or
> terminals.  We will log them in.  They will not know the password.  There
> are multiple ways to do this.  I picked one of them.  As far as I know, the
> machine passes http://www.grc.com's True Stealth analysis.  I need to
> test this.
>
>    Any thoughts on this?
>
>    If you knew we were doing this, how would you hack into the machine?
>
> --
> Howard Gibson
> hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
> howard.gibson-PadmjKOQAFnQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org