Interested in ereaders

Molly Tournquist mollytournquist-ifvz4xmYPRU at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 20 21:16:14 UTC 2013

Seems like a chicken and an egg situation, without keyboards, it's hard for people to be messing around with an ereader enough to get a sense of how to make use of hacked ones.

Tetris was released for it, and it just looks awful, no surprise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jtbbcFhvec

A weather app has been ported to it, through pygame.

When the main memory is on an internal card, that allows an extra safeguard against bricking it.

Yes, there are advantages to having specialized gadgets for specific purposses. But text viewing plus audio is still a narrow range of functions. It's easy to conceive of audio quality still being paid good attention to from just a dual device, rather than a tablet or phone. Sure, creative labs had released a pair of android tablets ... with resistive screens! Just imagine how a device with as broad a range of functions as a tablet made by an audio gadgets company would turn out!

The Aura *HD* seems particularly interesting: 1440x1080. Supposedly, it's a limited edition product. Regular Aura is 10 by 10 pixels short of XGA for some reason.

Actually, using linux is questionable. Rockbox is already optimized for portable music players. Color E-paper is an issue of how good that technology is.

There have been mp3 players with huge battery life
http://www.slipperybrick.com/2006/11/mobi-blu-b153-mp3/
A very similar one to that one (iaudio g3) just used a basic AA cell, for 50 hours playback. Doesn't seem like that unreasonable an option for a somewhat bigger device like an ereader.

Sony dropped a lot of their ereader line, now they only have the very basic model, plus last year's version of it. And anyway, that's sony we're talking about here. There have been a few other ereaders made with audio and even text to speech capability.

The convenience factor goes with the apeal of the audio double function. On the other hand, that impressive compactness gets a little absurd, they become awkward to hold and so on. So, the 5 inch screen compromise seems important to keep in mind, with which sony did not give audio a chance.