Interested in ereaders

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 19 16:35:19 UTC 2013

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| The audio part is really really pointless.  In fact sony dropped audio
| support from their newer models because an ereader makes a lousy mp3
| player and it is a waste of the ereaders battery.  A dedicated mp3 player
| is way better at it, more efficient, has a better UI for audio playack,
| and is a lot smaller.

So folks (naturally) want to carry as few things as possible.  Now
that I'm starting to carry a smart phone, I'm running out of pockets.
So I have to decide whether to drop my Swiss Army knife or my MP3
player.  Things are a little better now that the weather has cooled
off: more pockets.

I tried using the phone as an MP3 player but it isn't 100%
satisfactory.  Running down an MP3 player's battery isn't as
consequential as running down a phone's battery.

I haven't figured out the best way of carrying earphones.
Wrapping them around the MP3 player has worked fairly well, but
wrapping them around the phone doesn't work.  So the MP3 player almost
earns its keep just as headphone storage.

All these tradeoffs are non-obvious and very particular.  Hard to
theorize what would work for and sell to the masses.