dm-raid and resizing

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 13 17:26:53 UTC 2013

I recently upgraded a couple of RAID 2TB drives to some 3TB drives using
the format
Shutdown, pull old drive 1, start degraded
Add new drive 1 to RAID, wait for sync/rebuild
Shutdown, pull old drive 2, add new drive 2 to RAID, wait for sync/rebuild

I had a really small /boot partition, so for the new drives used a larger
set of partitions for /dev/md0

However, for whatever reason, I can't grow to the full partition size.

mdadm --grow --size=max only gives me around 750MB, even though the
component partitions (/dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1) are 1200MB.

Any ideas why it won't use the full capacity?

Cheers,

--
Tyler Aviss
Systems Support

"Computers don't make mistakes. They can, however, execute those provided
to them very quickly"