X Session

ted leslie ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 11 04:16:02 UTC 2013

You can do in CL with "screen".
For GUI, you would want to set up a second (or more) X server, and use
a RDP to it, via remote desktop screen share.
i.e.  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=213756
then RDP/VNC to the that XServer.
You could create the additional XServer via ssh (remote script even),
then connect, then do controlled shutdown when your finished.
But it would be there as you left it if you rdp drops.

Having said that, if you run a gnome desktop env via a X-client (or X
over SSH, etc), if it disconnects, I wonder if you could reconnect to
that?
I think all apps would cascade kill when the main desktop env. dies,
kind of like with a ssh and tasks spawned from it that are not
nohup'd.

-tl