MTP on Ubuntu

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 9 21:06:04 UTC 2013

I've been using BitTorrent Sync and really like it.  There are down-sides:

- free but closed-source (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- they claim they're going to open the protocol, but I don't think they
have yet
- the encryption may well carry an NSA back door
- sync chunks are 4MB minimum (ie. if you change one byte in a 3.95MB file,
it sends the entire file, not exactly rsync)
- would thus probably chew up your phone data package pretty badly (I don't
have that worry, my tablet is WiFi only)
- the initial set-up on a Linux machine includes automatically starting a
wide-open web server (from which an attacker can harvest all your Sync
passwords!) ... fixable in the config

If you can get past these problems, it's incredibly easy to use: you drop
files in a folder on your desktop, they appear on the phone as fast as your
wifi can move them.  It's been flawless for a couple months now.

On 9 September 2013 16:38, Mauro Souza <thoriumbr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I second to AirDroid. I am able to put music, movies, whatever I want to
> my Galaxy S2 seamlessly, and no hurdles.
>
> Mauro
> http://mauro.limeiratem.com - registered Linux User: 294521
> Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.

>> > gMTP's the best thing I found for my Nexus 7
>> >
>> > It's personally baffling that these things don't have a microSD slot
>> >
>> > --
>> > -____ Todd Howe ____________________ tehowe-lJUvcdpYuyfIEIWhD7vHkg at public.gmane.org ____-
>> > -____ gpg public key id E8BCABA7__tehowe on skype or twitter ____-
>>
>> Not that baffling really, Google is trying to push their "cloud"
>> storage.
>> --
>> staticsafe
>> O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org
>> Please don't top post.
>> Please don't CC! I'm subscribed to whatever list I just posted on.
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/