MythTV hardware list

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 8 03:16:01 UTC 2013

> | on weekend through retarded flash on a computer. Oh and repeat
> | advertisement that's driving me a bit nuts.
>
> The online version has fewer ads than the broadcast version, but much
> more repetition.  And you cannot fast forward.

Ya, read somewhere that's the case. But when you watch a week shows back to
back, that too many advertising repetition for a brain to handle.
> I wonder if you can harvest those Flash files automatically.

Tried once with little success.  The only flash video I have had success
with are on YouTube
> | So, what I want to do is setup MythTV, schedule it to record the two
shows
> | and I can binge on it at my time and away from flash.
>
> MythTV has limitations imposed by The Industry.  Digital cable is
> encrypted and awkward to record.  Analog cable is great for MythTV but
> it is disappearing.  Over The Air (OTA) is great.  Satellite and
> Bell's-ov-the-wire service are bad.
>
> By bad, I mean: require MythTV to be downstream of a set-top box and
> even then Myth has trouble changing channels.
>
> So: what is your signal source?
Over the air.  Would be too expensive to subscribe for TV service while I
only watch two shows.

 That determines much else.  I'm too
> lazy to cover all the options when you probably already have one in
> mind.
>
> | Looked around the documentation and I think I can handle it. May use
Redhat
> | based system - very comfortable with it - or Debian - seem well
supported.

> I'm a mostly Fedora guy, but I think that the most simple way of
> getting MythTV is MythBuntu <http://www.mythbuntu.org/>.

I like setting things package by package sometimes as I assume I will learn
a lot that way.  So may give above a try after I am done tinkering
> If your needs are simple, XBMC might be even easier.  I've not used it
> recently, but it can now record.  There are even versions that run on
> the Raspberry Pi and other tiny platforms <http://openelec.tv/>.
> Tiny/low-power/quiet are good if you are going to leave it on all the
> time.
>
> | The place I am not too certain is the hardware.
>
> Depends a lot on your signal source.
> --
Over the air, too cheap to take Rogers service

William '