MythTV hardware list

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 8 01:24:22 UTC 2013

| From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I am aware there are couple of people on the list who have setup a mythTV
| in the past.

TLUG has its own MythTV list!  See
<http://gtalug.org/wiki/Mailing_lists>
Not too busy.

 Never tried, but recently got curious about it and want to

| Basically,  I barely watch any TV. I do however have a weak spot with John
| Steward's show and Colbert report. Watched these consistently since 2002.
| Tend to be outside or asleep a lot when the show is running, so get my fix
| on weekend through retarded flash on a computer. Oh and repeat
| advertisement that's driving me a bit nuts.

The online version has fewer ads than the broadcast version, but much
more repetition.  And you cannot fast forward.

I wonder if you can harvest those Flash files automatically.

| So, what I want to do is setup MythTV, schedule it to record the two shows
| and I can binge on it at my time and away from flash.

MythTV has limitations imposed by The Industry.  Digital cable is
encrypted and awkward to record.  Analog cable is great for MythTV but
it is disappearing.  Over The Air (OTA) is great.  Satellite and
Bell's-ov-the-wire service are bad.

By bad, I mean: require MythTV to be downstream of a set-top box and
even then Myth has trouble changing channels.

So: what is your signal source?  That determines much else.  I'm too
lazy to cover all the options when you probably already have one in
mind.

| Looked around the documentation and I think I can handle it. May use Redhat
| based system - very comfortable with it - or Debian - seem well supported.

I'm a mostly Fedora guy, but I think that the most simple way of
getting MythTV is MythBuntu <http://www.mythbuntu.org/>.

If your needs are simple, XBMC might be even easier.  I've not used it
recently, but it can now record.  There are even versions that run on
the Raspberry Pi and other tiny platforms <http://openelec.tv/>.
Tiny/low-power/quiet are good if you are going to leave it on all the
time.

| The place I am not too certain is the hardware.

Depends a lot on your signal source.