MythTV hardware list

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 7 21:58:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am aware there are couple of people on the list who have setup a mythTV
in the past. Never tried, but recently got curious about it and want to
jump in.

Basically,  I barely watch any TV. I do however have a weak spot with John
Steward's show and Colbert report. Watched these consistently since 2002.
Tend to be outside or asleep a lot when the show is running, so get my fix
on weekend through retarded flash on a computer. Oh and repeat
advertisement that's driving me a bit nuts.

So, what I want to do is setup MythTV, schedule it to record the two shows
and I can binge on it at my time and away from flash.
Looked around the documentation and I think I can handle it. May use Redhat
based system - very comfortable with it - or Debian - seem well supported.

The place I am not too certain is the hardware. And since its not free as
the software side, it may be expensive to do trial and error. And hence the
mail. What's currently in the market that can offer a good service without
a big dent on my pocket? I mean on motherboard and TV tuner needed.

Actually wonder if its worth assembling or picking something from store
would do. Will need appropriate slot for TV card though so that may be a
problem.

Thanks in advance.

William