decent mega-monitor?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 6 20:03:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 11:18:25AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> That serves an immediate need.  But it has too little room to grow (as
> far as I can see).
>
> One of the inexpensive 4k monitors we've been drooling over can refresh at
> 120Hz and this new standard couldn't support that.

Sure, although there seems to be no actual content above 60Hz.  30Hz was
a problem.  Remember they are increasing the speeds of the signals,
which requires more and more advanced chips.  They can't just decide to
increase the speed by 10 times, because the implementation cost would
be much too high at this time.

> I guess it's technically tough.  Be prepared for sequential obsolescence of all
> your stuff.  For example, my 30" dual-DVI-only monitor.  It's really
> annoying when a perfectly good object gets stranded by evaporating
> standards.

When it was made, dual link DVI was really the only thing that could
drive a screen that big.  Displayport probably did not exist yet.

> That's one reason I've liked Linux.  So many devices became orphans by
> Microsoft Windows updates.  I have several scanners that work in
> Linux but not current Windows.

I have had that happen too.  Same for wireless cards.

> Of course this can happen in Linux too.  I inadvertently bought a
> printer/scanner/... device with only proprietary Linux support.  For
> how long will Brother keep updating the drivers?  NVidia and ATI
> orphan video cards too.

Always a question to consider.  At least in the case of nvidia the
support time has so far been very long.  ATI has happily orphaned cards
they were still selling to business users.

--
Len Sorensen