thinking about Haswell desktop

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 6 14:15:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 09:10:44PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> Asrock?  I don't recommend them.  Horrible RMA experience...

It isn't a brand I was planning to buy at the moment, but apparently
they do make VT-d work on their boards unlike most brands.  Strange.

> I thought it's VT-d (IOMMU for AMD) which enables you to assign /dev/sdj
> on host as /dev/sda on VM guest.

VT-d allows things like assigning a PCI/PCIe card to a guest.  That is
the entire card, not part of it, and not a disk.

Even vmware a decade ago could let a guest use a raw disk or even
a partition.  I remember doing that in the past.  That's easy.

--
Len Sorensen