Moving Web Hosting

ted leslie ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 5 03:20:50 UTC 2013

There are many possibilities, I think you need to define a budget
first ("not exactly flush"  = x$/month ?).
I use a small instance a rackspace (cloud instance) so full control of
OS (root account, etc), its 11$/mon, for 256MB ram, 10gb hd,
and 3ghz type cpu. Of course with linux its amazing what you can run
on 256MB ram.
You can get 2-5 times more ram/hd then this for same price with a
shared host, but also might be bw quaility issues, etc.
This gives you at least one idea of a direction to take and its price.

Amazon has a free linux small instance for a year, but since its a
shared cycle sneaking instance, in my experience, it goes away
about 5% of the time (when it just can't sneak any cycles), which
makes it useless unless a hobby site. If you go to non-cycle stealing
minimal instance, you are about the same as RS IIRC. Having said that,
I run a full windows server, mysql db on a tiny amazon instance (for
free),
maybe linux would fair better when the cycles get grounded.

-tl