ION Toronto, 2013 November 11

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 2 18:49:56 UTC 2013

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I don't know what ION stands for, but this is related to the Internet
> Society.  There are a bunch of half-hour talks about such things as DNSSec
> and IPv6.  Technical, not marketing.

It's nice to see some talk about IPv6.  There's way too much inertia
with people sticking on IPv4 with all it's problems and limitations.
I've been running IPv6 on my home network for over 3 years.  There's no
shortage of addresses on IPv6, so everyone gets nice large subnets.  My
own /56 subnet is about a trillion times the entire IPv4 address space
(I haven't used them all yet <g>).  Some people have advocated handing
out /48 subnets, which are 256x the size of mine.  If they did that,
there would be enough to give everyone on earth well over 4000 /48
subnets each!