video streaming -- recommendations?

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 2 18:18:40 UTC 2013

On 13-09-02 02:11 PM, Peter King wrote:
> I'd like to be able to stream video from a Linux box to several different
> kinds of recipients: laptops running OSX, tablets running Android, other
> computers running Linux. I already use calibre-server and mpd to serve up
> ebooks and music respectively, and was wondering if there were anything I
> could use for video.  Command-line is preferable but not required; remote
> control would be convenient.
>
> Google reveals a lot of very heavy solutions: "media servers" such as MythTV,
> MediaTomb, and so on, but they seem to be much more than I need. I'd be happy
> if mplayer2 were to run as a daemon, for instance, but I can't see that it
> does.
>
> What have people tried? What has worked, and what hasn't? Is there any clear
> winning solution for all this? I'd be grateful for any and all advice, comment,
> and suggestions. Thanks.

I have used mediatomb for a number of years and I am quite happy with
it. Both for music and video.

It is command line and can be started as a service. There is a web
interface to help with setup.

Very easy to use with a pretty normal xml configuration file. And you
can specify transcoding should you ever need that.

--
Stephen