can't make ipv4 dhcp and ipv6 static both exist

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 31 16:53:57 UTC 2013

Scott Sullivan wrote:
> Again, just because the environment you've experienced take advantage
> of those features, you can't assume what is or is not necessary. Neil
> has not provided enough information to guess either way.

Actually, it's standard IPv6 operation.  It's supposed to operate that
way.  The router announces itself, along with the subnet info.  Devices
also announce themselves to neighbours.  If Neil has something that
doesn't operate that way, it's definitely non-standard to the point of
being non-functional.

>> BTW, I have a /56 subnet, which is 2^72 addresses, or about a trillion
>> times the entire IPv4 address space.
>
> My God... it's full of IPs...

ISPs are supposed to hand out /64 subnets (2^64 addresses) at a minimum,
but some people have advocated the ISPs should be handing out /48
(2^80).  There are enough of those to give every man, woman and child on
the planet well over 4000 of them.

> What I'm curious about is if it's a side effect issue. IPv6 gets set
> immediately as it's static, but then the DHCP takes longer waiting for
> the DHCP server, assigns it's address when it get it and clears the
> IPv6 in the process.

Actually, on IPv6, DHCP is generally used for things like server
addresses and not the host address.